1.4 - Volta

Despite the uninspiring minimalism of Carwin’s home, mornings were beautiful. The large windows of his loft filled the bedroom with golden eastern light, and Nova was thankful every time she woke up to the warm glow.

She pressed her ear on Carwin’s bare chest. His heartbeat was slow, the steady beat of a runner. She closed her eyes and listened.

“You know, it’s uncomfortable when you do that,” his voice rumbled in his chest.

“Sorry,” she lifted her head up and beamed at him. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“It’s fine,” he leaned in, his lips dangerously close to hers. She pushed his hair out of his eyes, but it stubbornly fell back into place. It was becoming a pattern, that her days would both start and end like this.

“Blegh,” she stuck her tongue out, “morning breath.”

He laughed. “I’ll make breakfast after I brush my teeth. Protein pancakes?”

Nova beamed. “Yes, please!”

Nova settled happily into a chair at the dining room table while Carwin prepared breakfast. His small home was growing more and more comfortable. She had brought some plants she had grown from cuttings, and he proudly displayed them around the dining room. More importantly–to her, at least–she now had a toothbrush and a spare change of clothes tucked into one of his dresser drawers.

“Mademoiselle,” Carwin theatrically placed a plate of pancakes in front of them. He made them to her specifications, with egg whites and a heaping spoonful of protein powder. She clapped in delight.

“These look great–but where’s yours?”

He frowned  “Unfortunately, I have to actually go to work today instead of working from home. A few investors are visiting the campus, and so I need to be there in person.”

Nova’s face fell. “But I have a performance at the park this afternoon. I thought you were coming.”

“I’ll make it to the next one, I promise. You’re welcome to stay here for the day, if you’d like.”

She pouted. “Where’s the fun in that?”

He kissed her on the forehead. “We’ll do something tomorrow, okay? I’ll be home late, so please hit the alarm on your way out.”

She stuck out her tongue at him as soon as he turned his back.

***


After an uneventful performance, Nova decided to return home. Sirena was playing one of Nova’s sports games, a sign of dire times. “Hey, girl,” Nova chirped as she bounced into the living room, “how’s it shaking?”

Sirena glanced up at her. “Nova? Nova, is that you?!”

“Haha,” Nova rolled her eyes as she sat on the couch next to her friend, “sorry, I should’ve let you know I was spending the night at Carwin’s last night.”

“That’s the third night this week. It’s going well then?”

Nova blushed and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. “You could say that.”

“I’m getting a little jealous,” Sirena said with a slight smile.

“Of Carwin? I mean he’s cute and fun and everything, but he’s no Sirena.”

“That’s what I like to hear.”

At Sirena’s suggestion, the pair settled in for a night of streaming. Nova checked her phone furtively, periodically responding to texts from Carwin.

Nova chuckled, drawing an angry look from Sirena. “You good or should I pause the show?” Sirena frowned.

“Yeah, yeah–I’m sorry, just wrapping up some plans with Carwin.”

“So phone away or…?”

Nova nodded and set her phone on the end table. 

Six episodes later, Sirena retired for the evening. She slammed her bedroom door a little louder tonight, but Nova didn’t notice.

Nova’s phone trilled again. She smiled at Carwin’s message, then opened her photo app, selected a photo of her and Sirena dressed to the nines, typed a snippy response, and hit send.

And then she noticed something about the photo: in the corner, partly obscured, a bright-eyed man with dark, messy hair.

Alex, she recalled. They had matched briefly, on Simder, before he rebuffed her (I didn’t even get to the punchline, Nova thought bitterly).  She stared at the picture. It was dated from July, before her memory became consistent–she had assumed it was from the night she had abandoned Sirena at Diamondback’s, according to hearsay from the bartender. Her memory was returning, but this night in particular was slippery.

Something spoke to her, a nagging at the back of the mind that it was kismet she met him. Why else would he reappear in her life? Again, she didn’t remember that night–but the bartender might.

Diamondback’s opened at 5:00 PM.  Nova strolled in at 5:01. She worried the whole bike ride over that the bartender she was thinking of wouldn’t be there, that it was his day off or–Maker forbid–he had quit or been fired.

“You’re back,” the bartender smiled as she wandered up to the bar. His smile faded as he looked her up and down. “You should know that we don’t allow sneakers on the dance floor.”

“I’m not here to dance,” she said, “I just have a quick question for you.”

“People don’t usually come here to ask me questions,” he frowned.

Nova sighed. “I know, I know–it’s weird. I’m just searching for someone. And I was hoping you could help me, um…what’s your name?”

“Hugo.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Nova,” she put her hand on her chest, “I was hoping you could help me, Hugo. I’m looking for someone and I think he might come here sometimes.”

Hugo nodded. “Who are you looking for?”

Nova opened the picture and turned her phone to the bartender. “This guy, in the corner–is he the one I left with a few weeks ago?”

Hugo studied the picture. “It’s blurry, but yeah, that’s him, I remember his hair. Perfectly imperfect, right?”

Nova chuckled politely. “Yeah, for sure. Did you talk to him at all before we left?”

“He ordered a couple of drinks, but we didn’t talk other than that. Why are you looking for him?” Hugo glanced briefly at her stomach, then back up to her face.

“I just thought maybe it was a love connection,” Nova said.

“You don’t remember who you went home with and you thought it might be a love connection?” Hugo said blankly.

“I have face blindness,” Nova said, “anyway, I know his first name: Alex. Would you happen to keep receipts or tabs or anything? Or has he been back since then?”

“He’s been here a couple of times, but he always closes his tabs in cash,” Hugo shrugged. “Sorry–maybe try the missed connections page on Megslist or something?”

“Look, can you do me a favor? Please?” Nova asked.

“Depends,” Hugo said slowly.

She pulled a crumpled receipt and a pen out of her pocket. She scribbled her name and phone number on the back and thrust it out towards him. “Text me if he comes in, okay? Please, Hugo?”

He reluctantly accepted the paper. “Yeah, okay. Look, can I be honest with you?”

“I guess.”

“I don’t think you’re going to find love in a place like this.”

Nova shrugged. “Guess I’m desperate. Just text me, okay?”

***

Blooming Cactus Bistro was much different on a Saturday, when sims flocked there for date night instead of happy hour. Once again, Sirena selected Nova’s outfit; it was perfect, save the shoes. 

Dinner was unexceptionally exceptional: red wine, mushroom soup, and chicken vol-au-vent. The waiter brought champagne after the main course, which Carwin insisted on expertly serving to Nova.

“Thank you so much,” Nova smiled. Carwin cringed as she swished her glass, “this has been incredible. I’ve never been to a place where the waiter puts the napkin in your lap.”

He smiled faintly. “I’m glad you enjoyed it. Maybe next time we can–” Nova’s phone interrupted, trilling once, then two more times in quick succession.

“Do you need to take that?” Carwin raised an eyebrow.

“It’s probably just Sirena,” she waved her hand, “besides, I’m so ready for dessert.” 

Nova’s phone pinged again. “Actually Carwin, would you mind? Then I’ll put it on silent.”

Her jaw dropped. She had hoped that Hugo would be able to help, but she certainly had not expected it–especially so soon.

Carwin glowered back at her from across the table. “Something important?”

“Carwin–oh jeez, I’m so sorry but I need to go.”

His response was terse. “Go where?”

“To help Sirena. She went clubbing and some guy is harassing her. I’m going to go pick her up to make sure she gets home safe.” Nova’s confidence surprised even her, but Carwin didn’t budge.

“Can’t you just get her a Lyft?”

Nova’s nose wrinkled. “I’m sorry, are you suggesting I don’t go support my closest friend when she asks for my help?” For a moment as she scrambled up the moral high ground, she forgot she was lying.

“I am suggesting that you made a commitment to spend the evening with me,” he countered, “and that your friend is an adult and can take care of herself.”

Nova inhaled through her nose and exhaled deeply. “I am sorry,” she said calmly, “but I’m leaving now. I’ll text you when we get home safely.” She turned on her heel and brushed past the waiter carrying their dessert.

Carwin’s eyes drilled holes in her back.

***

Nova breathed in the smell of sweat and smoke as she scanned the dance floor. It was packed this night, much more than her last visit. It took her a moment to find Alex and his date.

The two were flirting, and even someone as naïve as Nova could tell it was only a matter of time before they left. She took a deep breath, gauging the depths of her curiosity: she needed the satisfaction. 

“Alex,” She bellowed as she stormed over to him. His back straightened and he looked around in confusion before locking eyes with her. “How dare you,” she hissed.

“What’s going on?” His date said, “Alex, who is this?”

“I–I don't know,” Alex said.

“Oh my Maker,” Nova rolled her eyes, “don’t pretend you don’t know me. Let me guess, you didn’t tell her you were engaged, Alex?”

“You’re engaged?” the woman jolted up from her seat and glared at Alex. He started to protest, but Nova interrupted.

“With a baby on the way, we have to get married,” Nova sobbed, “isn’t that right, Alexander McGee?”

“I’m not engaged,” he growled, “and my name isn’t Alexander McGee.”

“You’re scum,” she said as she poked a finger into Alex’s chest.

He winced. “Sarah, wait!”

Sarah ignored him as she sauntered to the stairs. Alex leveled his eyes at Nova.

You–you’re the girl from Simder.”

“I’m so, so sorry, but I can explain,” Nova said quickly.

“You don’t need to explain: you’re deranged," Alex scoffed.

“Alex, I think we’ve met before.”

“I’m sure you think a lot of crazy  things.” He tried to leave, but she deftly stepped in his way. He was taller than her, but she was almost as broad. Any movement he made she quickly mirrored, cutting off his exit.

“Please, just talk to me,” she pleaded, “I know we’ve met before, actually, but I–I don’t remember.”

“Do you even hear yourself? Move, now.”

Nova took a step closer to Alex. “I’m at a loss here and I think you are my last chance to figure out what’s happening to me,” she said, “I don’t remember anything except the past couple of weeks. But I found a picture of you on the phone, and–Maker, this sounds crazy, but the bartender here says we left together, like, two months ago. But I don’t remember that and I’m hoping you would be kind enough to help me fill in the gaps.”

Alex stared at her, blank faced.

Nova bit her lip, “am I–am I actually crazy? I sound crazy. I swear, I’m not crazy, I–”

“You said two months ago?”

Nova nodded, “yeah, back in July.”

“I don’t remember that night either,” he said, “I don’t remember anything from July.” His eyes were hard, his jaw clenched. 

“What? You’re serious?”

“And you’re right. We have met. That’s why–” whooping from the dance floor cut him off.

“Let’s go somewhere quieter,” Nova suggested.

Alex nodded.

***

Sam’s Bistro was nearly empty. A sign at the front invited patrons to seat themselves, which the pair gladly did. Nova couldn’t decide what kind of restaurant it was supposed to be: the architecture was American, the wall décor Chinese, and the menu (mostly) Italian. 

“Heels are stupid,” Nova growled as she slipped her shoes off her feet, “ah, that’s so much better. Thanks,” she told the waiter as he placed two bottles in front of them. He shot a doubtful look at her feet before deciding it was above his pay grade.

Alex watched her closely, his eyes shifting as he took in each detail of her face. As soon as she made eye contact with him he glanced to a spot right above her head. A moment of silence passed before one of them spoke.

“I’m sorry about Sarah,” Nova said.

“No you’re not,” he replied.

Nova’s ears grew warm. “Well–not really. Sorry I’m not sorry. I had to get you to talk to me, and I didn’t know how else.”

“Well. You have my undivided attention now,” Alex said.

“Okay,” Nova took a deep breath, “I’m going to tell you everything I know, and you aren’t going to judge me, okay?”

“Too late,” he replied coolly. For a split second, she saw a twinkle in his eye. And then he refocused his gaze on the point just above her head.

“I was in an accident and I lost my memory. I know, it’s very Days of Our Lives. Sirena–that’s my friend, I live with her–says that I sometimes just lose bits of my memory. It’s like, I have these fits where my memory just vanishes. She says it comes back, and it has been just not all the way.”

If Alex had any thoughts about her story, his face didn’t betray them.

She continued. “Anyway, we went to Diamondback’s a couple of weeks ago and the bartender mentioned that I had been there only a couple weeks before and I had ditched Sirena and left with a guy.”

“That’s not exactly out of the ordinary,” Alex’s eyebrows raised, “I mean, that’s why people go there.”

“I know. I’m not stupid,” she said crossly, “Point is, I didn’t remember that, even when we matched on Simder, and I didn’t think anything of it until this.” She opened up the picture on the phone.

He examined the picture. “Well, that’s something.”

Nova narrowed her eyes. “Why did you come with me here, then? If you don’t seem to believe me?”

Alex sighed. “There’s a reason I was rude to you on Simder when we matched.”

Nova gave a condescending toss of her hair. “And why’s that?”

Alex unlocked his phone then handed her his phone. “I don’t remember this night. And I think you’re right, it’s the day after your picture.”

Nova’s eyes widened. Staring back at her from the screen was a much happier looking Alex, his arm around a grinning Nova. It was taken in the botanical garden near Carwin’s house. “I don’t understand.”

“Look at the next one.”

Nova swiped, frowned, and  glanced up at him. “I told you we’d met,” she said, trying to distract from the blush creeping across her cheeks.

He leaned forward. “These pictures are from July, too. And there’s a gap of about two weeks in my memory, starting about the timeline you’re describing. I didn’t remember you at first when we matched, but then I remembered the picture. I,” he paused, looking embarrassed, “panicked. And unmatched. Same thing tonight–I don’t know what this means.” 

Nova’s heart was racing. “Why would both of us be missing our memory?”

Alex shrugged. “I don’t know.”

She bit her lip, still looking at the picture. “I want to find out.”

A beat of silence, then his response: “Me too.”

***
"Volta" - The Crane Wives

Comments

  1. Two men in her life in a short time. I could say lucky girl but Carwin doesn't sit right with me, especially in the dinner together.

    On the other hand, the photo of Alex and Nova together intrigues me and makes me want to know more! Oh and they seem happy embrancing in the first photo.

    I'm loving this story. Another thing, I loved the screenshots with the chats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly a little odd, isn't he? Though Alex isn't exactly perfect either...

      I was surprised by what a cute couple they made! Hopefully they'll put together the pieces soon. :)

      Thanks! I have fun making the chats, so it's probably something that'll show up a lot. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  2. I knew Carwin was a villain from the second he ordered that boba tea. You don't just choose someone else's food/drink without consulting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carwin's a keeper if he's offering to take her out to the bistro. That is no small amount of simoleans for a gen 1 family, lol. Then again, he was mad she had to 'help a friend' during dinner, so maybe he has too many expectations?
    The casual 'I have face blindness' had me rolling. How will she keep up with such a lie? (I wrote this and then she proceeded to lie during every single interact of the day- lol what are her traits?)
    Is it okay that I don't like her with anyone yet? It kind of seems like everyone is lying or being duplicitous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in the text message conversation you’re getting their personalities across! Nova types in lowercase, while Carwin uses proper punctuation. Great touch, always loved your attention to detail!

    Nova’s unusual expressions are such an adorable part of her personality. „Holy cats!“—I‘m so stealing that one for real life use!

    What is Sirena up to?! I’m assuming it’s her, and not Carwin, since Sirena has been so shifty. Then again, maybe that’s what you want us to think!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1.1 - Beau Geste Effect

1.5 - New Moon

1.0 - Awake in Lucky Palms